Sunday, October 3, 2010

Subtitles For Glucosamine

There is no worse deaf as those who can hear

(Image: Chris Ryan )

During my youth, my parents repeatedly recommended me not to listen to music at volume so high, because I would be deaf. If only they had not ignored!

For a long time, I was convinced that my years of visiting clubs had left my inner ear as devastated as the center of Hiroshima after we dropped the atomic bomb left over. Galloping I developed tinnitus in my teens seemed to confirm my assumption. However, this is far from sad, gave me some tranquility.

Because if it is true that to be completely deaf no longer a tragedy, be moderately deaf is an advantage when you live in a modern city. The hard of the street may pass through without having to carry headphones or earplugs to silence the screams of the pedestrians and the generous use horn drivers. What happens when you are indoors? Well, let's face it, most things you hear every day are mere trifles. In the case of the really important information, usually comes in written form.

But a couple of months ago I began to glimpse the possibility that I might not be so deaf as claimed be. I was having lunch at home as happy as I felt my eardrums to be outraged by an unbearable screech so acute that if someone had decided to scratch a chalkboard at that moment, the resulting grinding made in fashion of a sweet melody. With hands covering my ears, I sought the source of so obnoxious cacophony, which happened to be my sister, I watched intently as I pointed his cell. Did you hear that? , I asked. That day I learned two things: first, that my sister has a sadistic streak care, and second, that belong to the small number of individuals who can perceive high frequency sounds after twenty-five.

Little did I imagine how bad it was going to be part of this elite group of hearing until I got home on Friday. Opening the door I was greeted by a shrill sound of unknown origin, like my tinnitus , but much stronger. I thought it might be my sister again, but no. The sound came from outside, probably from some ill-fitting home alarm. I went to visit the neighborhood several times but could not determine the source of sound, and so I can not require someone to do something to eliminate it. Moreover, as is the weekend, it is unlikely that something can be done by Monday.

Meanwhile, I have no choice to endure. I closed doors and windows, but as this is a high frequency sound, through glass and walls like butter. The only solution I've found not to listen is to fill my ears with loud music, so that the beep does not have space in which to reach my eardrums. In this way, I think that I will hold until the beep is gone or I completely deaf. My mother told me something that sounded like a "Pyrrhic victory", but as I read her lips and she did not put it in writing, I'm not sure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment